The musings of Miss Mya, the boxer, on her, her people and living the urban life in Columbus, OH.


Sunday, November 9, 2008

Rape victim's tribute to 'dog of the year'

Rape victim's tribute to 'dog of the year'
Dog of the year
Jo-Ann Heggie says her dog stopped her from suicide

A suicidal woman who had been raped twice claimed her life was transformed by her 'soulmate with a furry coat on' - Britain's official dog of the year.

Jo-Ann Heggie, who was raped when she was 14 and 21, said red boxer Odin stopped her from killing herself after a series of failed attempts.

'I feel safe and protected with him,' said the 30-year-old.

'With depression, I still have down days but Odin licks the tears away. He represents the person I used to be - my nutty, extrovert side, the bit that was taken away.'

Ms Heggie, from Kirkcaldy in Fife, entered Odin into Dogs Today magazine's Dog Of The Year award and won.

'I just had to tell everyone what Odin has done for me,' she said.

The prize was a holiday at a hotel - including a place for best friend Odin.

****************************************

*Yeah for Odin, Good job* ~Mya Face~

No comments: