The musings of Miss Mya, the boxer, on her, her people and living the urban life in Columbus, OH.


Saturday, December 6, 2008

Boxer eats plastic, ends up sick as a dog

FRAMINGHAM — Eden, a 12-month-old boxer, got into the holiday spirit, and then into trouble, recently by checking for goodies inside bags on her owner's kitchen counter.

The boxer, known for counter surfing, had help with the caper from her two littermates.

"The male boxers, taller than females, brushed the counter contents onto the floor and then they all had a party," said Bill Lannon of Uxbridge.

But the hijinks ended badly when Eden ate something she shouldn't have unbeknownst to her owners, Bill and Janice Lannon.

Two days before Thanksgiving, Eden began to get sick. She wouldn't eat and had lost 8 pounds by the time she was taken for exploratory surgery yesterday at Slade Veterinary Hospital in Framingham.

Veterinarians Marianne Martin and Anita Migday, owner of the hospital, operated on the pup and found the culprit behind her weight loss - about a quarter-pound of plastic bags.

Bill Lannon is not certain what attracted Eden to the plastic bags.

"Boxers eat anything, including hats and leftover food - that's a given," said Lannon. "Believe it or not, the blockage (from the bags) is the best of the options. If not the blockage, it would have been a disease. It's better than the alternatives. I'm pretty happy and thankful to have Eden back.

"We call Eden, 'the one.' She was the best one in the litter - with the highest expectations for her ability to be a champion in the show ring," said Lannon.

"We kept three out of the same litter and highly recommend not doing that," said Lannon, who breeds dogs. "One-year-old boxers are a bundle of energy, into everything and always challenging. When they hit 3, they settle down. Until then, they run and get into everything and we have three at the same age. It's like having triplets."

*** From http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/x984837699/Boxer-eats-plastic-ends-up-sick-as-a-dog ***

Feel better soon, Eden!!

xoxo ~*~Mya~*~

2 comments:

Chef said...

Oh my. I think I've heard it all, Mya. I know we Boxers eat anything - but plastic bags? I don't think even I would have done that. I've eaten my dad's socks though. I'm so glad Eden is Ok. She's a lucky girl.

xoxo
Chef

Sweet Ginny said...

Oh Mya!! How horrible!! I would have been so worried about Eden if I were you!

I have eaten lotsa stuff, but I have never considered plastic bags! Daddy uses those to pick up poop and I stay FAR AWAY from poop! I won't even go near a ball if Daddy throws it near poop.

Get well soon Eden!!